24 May 2010

SALAD: I suck at naming things.

Honestly---I don't remember what movie made me decide that I wanted to make movies, but I've watched [more than] enough to justify wanting to make films myself. I'd always enjoyed watching how they made them, and it never occurred to me that I want to make them until about 7th or 8th grade. Up until then, I was dead set on being a comic book artist/writer. The idea was planted in my brain there...it hatched some years later. I began to write big epic sci-fi/fantasy stories inspired by the Star Wars trilogy, Ghost in the Shell, The Matrix, and several others.

Wait a tick.

Now that I think about it, Clerks is what really got me wanting to make films, because of how simple the concept is, and how Kevin Smith came to make it. He made the movie he wanted to make, and is now a pretty well respected filmmaker and has a great amount of fans. After I watched Clerks, I started to write things that would be no-budget films essentially. Robert Rodriguez also played a role in inspiring me making low-budget action flicks. Most of the things I wrote were Clerks/El Mariachi hybrids.

Now, my favorite director is Edgar Wright. Why? I love his style. The frantic pacing, the camerawork, the writing, everything. He tells a story the way I would. He does mostly comedies, but he makes the mundane seem exciting. He's also a great action director (see Hot Fuzz; my favorite movie; and Scott Pilgrim vs. the World this summer).

I still want to do epic level films, but outside of the Hollywood system. Being able to make the movie I want to make would be the fulfillment of a dream. Matthew Vaugn did that with Kick-Ass, and I plan on doing it that way all the time. That said, I don't want to be James Cameron.

I've begun watching more and more films, studying directors, seeing how they do things, the decisions they make, and the storytelling styles that they like the most. The two I've had an obsession with over the past couple months is the Coen Brothers and Wes Anderson. The Coen Bros. are masters of dark comedy (something I've been interested in for years), while Wes Anderson works with surreal characters, and deadpan humor. Both are acquired tastes. Not all of the Coen Bros films are comedies, mostly crime dramas spruced with some dark humor. The standout films (for me so far) are Fargo and The Darjeeling Limited.

Other filmmakers that inspire me include Christopher Nolan, Guillermo Del Toro, Akira Kurosawa, Sergio Leone, Quentin Tarantino, Stephen Chow, Spike Jonze, Michel Gondry---I could go on, but I have a feeling that I've bored all 2 of you that read this thing.

Well, I finished writing the script for a film that I would've made this summer, but since I didn't get a job on time enough to be able to get the camera I need (Canon Rebel T2i) to shoot the film on. So I'm going to start writing another script for me to shoot in July that'll be a bit smaller scale. The story: While on his way home from work, a vice-president is called by his assistant and is told terrible (and simultaneously wonderful) things. This time, I'm going to make it easier on myself and outline the story before I write the script.

And now, I'm going to pass out. I've got a crapload of drawings to do (I'm doing commissions), and I'm going to need bigger paper.

P.S. I'm going to an advance screening of Splice next Tuesday (with a plus one). If you're in DC and you read Film School Rejects, they have the link to get the free tickets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you're going to make fun of me, please make it funny.